Hello Everyone! Today’s post is a departure from what I usually write about; but it’s an important topic to address given the state of our country on the matter. You’ve probably seen many posts and stories on the news about the injustices happening to POC (people of color), and especially black people. There’s many ways to support POC and the #blacklivesmatter movement.
Here are a few ways that I’m providing my support:
1. Donating to organizations and charities behind the #blacklivesmatter movement and supporting POC (picture of just a few organizations I personally donated to, but there are MANY)
2. Posting images on social media (primarily Instagram) that align with my view and thoughts on the matter. The one below is one that really spoke to me as an SLP/educator.
3. Signing petitions. One I signed was for ASHA (the American Speech and Hearing Association) to release a statement on their thoughts on this matter.
4. Praying for and thinking about POC and the #blacklivesmatter movement. Headspace, a popular meditation app, shared this image/quote on their Instagram today and I think is a great message for everyone to think about.
5. Lastly, educating myself on everything that is happening surrounding POC and the #blacklivesmatter movement through reading articles, looking at other social media posts, and reading books on the subject matter. I’m starting with “How to be an Antiracist” by Ibram X. Kendi.
I hope everyone considers supporting POC and the #blacklivesmatter movement in some way, even through a $5 donation to one of the organizations listed above or by reading a book about antiracism. Let’s support POC and the movement, and allow every person on this earth, especially POC suffering right now, to live an happy and healthy adventure. ❤️